Friday, October 10, 2008

Puppy Pampering (and I'm not talking diapers)

Tonight Bella got a spa treatment in a pre-celebration of her first birthday (Oct. 31). And by spa treatment I mean tooth-brushing and coat conditioner at the PetSmart grooming salon. They even threw in a Halloween bandana with her bath and haircut. Usually it takes them several hours to beautify my baby, but tonight she was the only customer and the center of attention. The groomers are always amazed by her sweet demeanor. The last time I dropped her off, they went through the litany of questions. Is she pregnant? Has she had her rabies shot? Does she have any behavioral problems ... (the groomer peers over the counter) ... aside from being a Schnauzer?

A vet tech once told me Bella must not realize what breed she is, since she's so sweet and calm and loving. Believe me, she has her hyper moments, which regularly include gnawing on the neck of a pit bull and jumping on my head while I'm trying to sleep. But she is a precious little thing and mostly very well behaved. And, like tonight's groomer noted, she likes to give kisses. Slurp!

Tomorrow she goes to the vet to get her bordatella treatment, which to my dismay resembles waterboarding. It's supposed to protect dogs from kennel cough. Instead of a shot, they squirt the medicine right up her little black nose. To her credit, she takes it stoically.

I haven't forgotten the epiphany. I'm letting it simmer so all the flavor soaks in.

1 comment:

anonymous mid-western, reminiscent undergrad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.